Not logged inCSS-Forum
Forum CSS-Online Help Search Login
CSS-Shop Impressum Datenschutz
Up Topic Hauptforen / CSS-Forum / Some Frequent Questions regarding High-ELO Performance
- - By Sedat Canbaz Date 2011-12-07 11:15
Hello Chess Friends,

I receive oftenly mails/frequent questions (about how to reach a High Elo Rating) regarding mainly on Playchess
So i hope my current little Tutorial/Tip can be helpful for some other players,that's why i've decided to post here too

Here are one of the most important factors regarding How to reach High-ELO Performance !

In other words,to stay always at one of the Top places or to reach High-Elo Ranking:
-You need to buy a fast decent machine
-Recommended to be used a processor which generates approx. 20000 kns by Houdini 2.0c x64
-Use the strongest chess engine (for nowadays its recommended to be used Houdini 2.0c x64)
-The opening book is playing a big role and it is the key to reach High-ELO Performance
-Your book should be based mainly on only quality games played by Houdini 1.5/2.0)
-The opening book depth up to 50 moves is a good idea
-You should optimize manually the winning/loosing lines
-You should edit the winning moves with green and the loosing lines with red color
-You need to create also new stronger variations that never played before
-Your opening book (especially with blacks)should not play various openings
-Whites should be very aggressive,where the opponent's blacks should be fall in critical positions
-Its recommended to be run own beta private book testings (before starting to play on Playchess or at any other servers)
-Use Hashtables size (depending on your processor speed):128 MB or 512MB Hashtable size for Blitz and 1024 MB or higher for Rapid games
-Install the TableBases on USB flash drive (TB search speed on a flash drive is much faster than local hard drive)

BTW,from my experience i can say also that the bellow factors can be one of the serious reasons (for lower performance) too:
-Unstable machine (wrong overclocking,some problems can be in ram,hard drive or maybe there is some system accessories overlapping...)
*Check your overclocking hardware system stability by using Prime95;Linx;OCCT...
-The operating system can include - virus,spyware,malware...for this reason oftenly is needed to be checked by antivirus programs
-For maintaining your PC system,its recommended almost daily to be used registry/system optimizers
-Its not recommended also to be installed any programs to tray in the Startup
-Some Fritz GUI Updates have bugs and that can lead to pure chess engine performance
*I mean,the latest Fritz GUI update does not mean is the most stable,try a few ones and keep/use the update version which you've got better results

I hope this helps...

One thing more,i see one of the frequent questions:Why you dont play on Playchess ?
-I dont play on Playchess server,due to i have big respect to SCCT Book Authors, plus i have no much free time

For any questions,please feel free to contact me:
http://www.sedatcanbaz.com/chess/contact/

Good Luck,
Sedat Canbaz
Parent - - By Clemens Keck Date 2011-12-07 14:17
Dear Sedat

you forgot to metion for the high performace you need :

You have to do it day by day by day by day by day...............it is neverending!
You want it.....you can have it.
My recommendation: do it for a while, then leave it before the virus is catching you...he he he

Regards, Clemens
Parent - - By Sedat Canbaz Date 2011-12-07 20:33
[quote="Clemens Keck"]
Dear Sedat

you forgot to metion for the high performace you need :

You have to do it day by day by day by day by day...............it is neverending!
You want it.....you can have it.
My recommendation: do it for a while, then leave it before the virus is catching you...he he he

Regards, Clemens
[/quote]

Hello dear Clemens,

Actually i did not forget to mention,the bellow my recomendatiions are equal to what you wrote 

-You should optimize manually the winning/loosing lines
-You should edit the winning moves with green and the loosing lines with red color

In other words,i can't recommend exactly the date (seconds,minutes,hours,days),the move opmization is needed of course after the played games

BTW,there is possibility by some users with high-elo rating to be not so happy about my currrent tutorial for high-elo performance
Of course i dont mean you...you are very good person and since many years,a lot of people benefit from your useful work

Kind Regards,
Sedat
Parent - - By Sedat Canbaz Date 2011-12-07 20:38
New Update (more detailed information has been added):
http://www.sedatcanbaz.com/chess/tutorial-for-high-elo-performance/

Best Regards,
Sedat
Parent - - By Michael Scheidl Date 2011-12-07 21:11 Edited 2011-12-07 21:14
Zitat:
-Recommended to be used a processor which generates approx. 20000 kns or higher kns values by Houdini 2.0c x64
-You should optimize manually and daily the winning/loosing lines
(...)
-For maintaining your PC system,its recommended almost daily to be used registry/system optimizers

Thank you, I am amused.

Considering that a Playchess engine room performance will give ZERO in one's private life, and close to zero in one's chess life, these (among all the other recommendations) seem to be very high demands.

Engine: Houdini 1.5a-2d (256 MB)
by Robert Houdart

13/28  0:02   +0.09--  1.e4 e6 (552.443) 267
(...)
18/43  1:25   +0.24    1.e4 e6 2.Nc3 d5 3.d4 Bb4 4.e5 Ne7
                       5.Nf3 O-O 6.a3 Bxc3+ 7.bxc3 Nbc6
                       8.Bd3 b6 9.O-O h6 10.Qe2 Nf5 11.a4 Qe7 (25.529.961) 297

best move: e2-e4 time: 1:26.144 min  n/s: 297.000  CPU 97.5%   n/s(1CPU): 304.615  nodes: 25.529.961

Wow. I need to be 67 times faster to compete.
Parent - - By Sedat Canbaz Date 2011-12-07 21:34
[quote="Michael Scheidl"]
Zitat:
-Recommended to be used a processor which generates approx. 20000 kns or higher kns values by Houdini 2.0c x64
-You should optimize manually and daily the winning/loosing lines
(...)

Thank you, I am amused.

Considering that a Playchess engine room performance will give ZERO in one's private life, and close to zero in one's chess life, these (among all the other recommendations) seem to be very high demands.

Engine: Houdini 1.5a-2d (256 MB)
by Robert Houdart

13/28  0:02   +0.09--  1.e4 e6 (552.443) 267
(...)
18/43  1:25   +0.24    1.e4 e6 2.Nc3 d5 3.d4 Bb4 4.e5 Ne7
                       5.Nf3 O-O 6.a3 Bxc3+ 7.bxc3 Nbc6
                       8.Bd3 b6 9.O-O h6 10.Qe2 Nf5 11.a4 Qe7 (25.529.961) 297

best move: e2-e4 time: 1:26.144 min  n/s: 297.000  CPU 97.5%   n/s(1CPU): 304.615  nodes: 25.529.961

Wow. I need to be 67 times faster to compete.

Dear Michael Scheidl,

Actually maybe you right and perhaps we are doing wrong that we spend a lot of free work/efforts for our great hobby
And in my opinion,almost all computer chess lovers suffers from that (including me)

Thats why i plan to drop my Computerchess activity tempo in 2012,lets see... i can do that or not ?!

BTW,as you know to be on 'Top' its not so easy (not only in Computerchess area) it needs a lot efforts,hard work,ambition,patience...

One thing more:
-Of course (with respect to all) there are some commercial programmers too,who dont take ZERO,where they are making a good business from us

Best Wishes,
Sedat
Parent - - By Michael Scheidl Date 2011-12-07 21:48 Edited 2011-12-07 21:50
Zitat:
Thats why i plan to drop my Computerchess activity tempo in 2012

I can only hope that you will never drop your CC. activities at all, because in our hobby we need bright "lighthouse" persons like you, to give us a guideline where the top performance is and how it could be obtained (if we'd only have the money, the time...).

Btw. I enjoy your opening sets which I use for engine matches, once in a while. Thank you.
Parent - By Sedat Canbaz Date 2011-12-08 12:41
[quote="Michael Scheidl"]
Zitat:
Thats why i plan to drop my Computerchess activity tempo in 2012

I can only hope that you will never drop your CC. activities at all, because in our hobby we need bright "lighthouse" persons like you, to give us a guideline where the top performance is and how it could be obtained (if we'd only have the money, the time...).

Btw. I enjoy your opening sets which I use for engine matches, once in a while. Thank you.

Thanks a lot for kind words...you make me feel proud !

Actually for nowadays,i dont think to be far away from our hobby (once i've tried i could not )

Just i am considering to spend less time for our hobby (of course my Computerchess activity will be continued...)

In other words, i hope to balance my life (my family/business... need attention too)

Best Regards,
Sedat
Up Topic Hauptforen / CSS-Forum / Some Frequent Questions regarding High-ELO Performance